How to find us?

Tel. +371 67 321 519, +371 67 320 919 (Konsulinis skyrius)
Fax +371 67 321 589

Visas and residence permits

Created: 2019.10.23 / Updated: 2020.02.14 13:32


Please be informed that as of 22 December 2019, due to rearrangements in the organization of performance of consular functions, the Embassy of the Republic of Lithuania in Latvia will not receive and examine applications for Schengen or national visas.

The third-country nationals legally residing in Latvia should consult the Migration Office of Latvia with regard to all matters relating to travel within the Schengen area.

Based on the amendments of the Republic of Lithuania Law on the Legal Status of Aliens, the embassy is no longer accepting applications for residence permits in Lithuania, with exception for  the alien who has retained the right to citizenship of the Republic of Lithuania according to the procedure laid down in the Law of the Republic of Lithuania on Citizenship, a person of Lithuanian descent and persons who are relocated within company.


If you are an EU citizen, a citizen of a Member State of the European Free Trade Association or a family member of an EU citizen or another person who, under EU law, enjoys the right to free movement within the EU, joining the Republic of Lithuania or an EU citizen or a citizen of the Republic of Lithuania who has exercised free movement within the EU you can stay in Republic of Lithuania for up to 3 months from the first day of arrival.

If you intend to stay in Lithuania for up to 90 days in any 180-day period, it is sufficient for you to have Schengen visa (if you are not subject to visa-free regime).

If you intend to stay for more than 90 days within 180 days, you must acquire:

You can come to work in Lithuania. If you intend to stay in Lithuania for no longer than a year, you can obtain a national visa. If you intend to stay longer, you should opt for a temporary residence permit (usually issued for 2 years, for highly qualified workers for 3 years, and can usually be renewed later). You may receive a national visa for the duration of consideration of your application for a temporary residence permit.

For the issue of a national visa, you must apply to:

  • The Lithuanian Visa Service in a foreign country outside the Schengen Zone or to an external service provider's visa application centre;
  • to Vilnius, Kaunas, Klaipėda territorial divisions of the Migration departament if you are legally in Lithuania.

Subscribe to our newsletters